Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Be Strong, and of a Good Courage.

Do you ever feel like life is crushing in on on you? Do you ever wake up in the morning thinking, "Why? Why do I have to go another day? I don't know if I can handle this again." I know I have. Fear and discouragement is something that has the tendency of eating us from the inside out. Fear is the absence of faith. Not to say that when we are afraid, we are bad people because we don't have faith; however, when we fear, then we are not relying on the Christ, who is the center of all hope. We can do all things through Him.


The Book of Mormon prophet Nephi has a moment when he is overwhelmed by his sins and the sins of his people. He becomes discouraged and upset at how easily mankind is susceptible to sin. However, his attitude is turned completely around as he looks up to the light rather than down to the darkness. His words are so inspiring and uplifting:


"Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.
Do not anger again because of mine enemies. Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions.
Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh.....yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God." 2 Nephi 4: 28-35


Incredible. I have found that in those moments when I don't know if I can go on another day because of the fear, anxieties, or whatever else the case may be, simple and sincere communication with our Heavenly Father calms me down immediately. He knows us. He knows us by name and exactly how we feel. Sure, life is hard, but it's ok to cry as long as we keep moving forward.


In the Bible is my favorite scripture. It is in the book of Joshua 1:9 which reads,


"...be strong, and of a good courage. Be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed, for the Lord thy God is with thee, withersoever thou goest."


That scripture has always spoken so much to me. I find that I am afraid a lot, and when I think of this scripture, it comforts me so much to know that we are NEVER alone. Our Heavenly Father is ALWAYS mindful of us and knows how we're doing. There was actually a song written from this song that I have sung before.


"When the world and its temptations seem to call you by name,
be strong. Be strong.
When they question everything you put your faith in everyday,
be strong. Be Strong.
And when your trials seem like they're too hard to bear,
Remember someone else stands by you, who's already been there.


(Chorus)
Be strong, and of Good Courage.
Be not afraid, stand firm in the faith,
For the Lord will be with us where ever we go,
Be His, be one. Be strong.


When the world tries to convince you to make the wrong choice,
Be strong. Be strong.
With the noise that's all around you, you can't hear the spirit's voice,
Be strong, Be Strong.
And when you stand for something right and stand alone,
Remember someone else stands by you, in your Heavenly Home.


(Chorus).


I still get scared. I still fear the unknown, however, with the help of sincere prayer and the words of the prophets in the scriptures, I know that everything will be ok. W just have to trust Him who is mighty to save. I testify that Christ lives and knows us. We are never alone. Be strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment